Acterna HST-3000 Handheld Consumer Services Tester
- Test call types including voice, 56K, 64K, Nx56K, Nx64Kand H0 to verify correctswitch translations for inbound and outbound calls
- Place and receive calls on T1 (primary or secondary) for NFAS configurations
- Switch in-service D-channel to stand by D-channel for verification of Dchannel backup operation in NFAS configurations
- Call status results provide summary of calls
- D-channel monitoring of layer 2/layer 3 cause code messages
- Store and print full layer 3 (Q.931) decodes
As a widely deployed service, ISDN is a key source of revenue for telecommunication service providers world-wide. This, coupled with today’s reduced budgets and smaller workforces, make it more critical than ever to ensure the timely and successful turn up and maintenance of ISDN service – the first time out. Additionally, thorough ISDN testing can prove more complex than basic physical layer and BER testing for technicians who lack the necessary training. To meet these challenges, an easy-to-use, versatile test solution is required that helps reduce failures and repeat rates while enhancing efficiency and ensuring consistent test practices.
The Acterna HST-3000 is a powerful and versatile test instrument for testing ISDN PRI service. Hand-held, rugged and easy-to-use, the HST-3000 is ideal for field use. Its modular design provides a scalable, all-in-one solution for ISDN testing, as well as thorough testing of the facilities over which it is provided.
The HST-3000 ISDN PRI option enables testing of Primary Rate ISDN circuits at both the customer site and central office. It supports call placement, receipt, D-Channel Decode analysis for 23B+D, NFAS (Non-Facility Associated Signaling), 24B and backup D channel switching. With the full range of T1 loopcodes and BERT patterns it can also test BER across any combination of channels to verify service before delivery to the customer.
Compact and rugged for field technicians, the HST-3000 can be used in all conditions, from an inside office environment to a noisy, wet outdoor span repeater. The HST-3000 also boasts automated setups and advanced features that ensure consistent adherence to service provider methods and procedures. Each HST-3000 is built to order and can easily be field-upgraded with new modules and software as application and technology needs change.
The HST-3000 can place, receive and monitor ISDN PRI calls on a primary or secondary T1 interface. It has the ability to place and receive single or NFASvoice, 3.1 kHz audio, 56k data, 64k data, Nx56/64k data or H0 calls. In addition, dual transmit/receive interfaces, standard on each T1 Service Interface Module (SIM), allows the HST-3000 to be deployed to test in-service to standby D-channel switching. Allmajor call controls are supported, including National, DMSand 5ESS.
For incoming calls, the HST-3000 can either prompt the user to accept or reject the call, automatically accept or reject the call, or accept and loop back the B channels. After a call has been accepted, the technician can drop the received B channel data to the speaker or headset or BERT the call. BER testing and a voice path via a handset is provided to qualify these data and voice calls, respectively. This allows technicians to access T1 physical linkmeasurements and verify switch translations prior to delivering service.
Easy-to-read result menus allow technicians to view ISDN statistics, call status, BERT results, T1 results and D-channel decodes. Technicians can also view a summary screen that presents a rapid assessment of test performance and a summary of results for the physical layer, LAPD and Q.931 results.
D-Channel Decodes Analysis
D-Channel decodes help to verify that a call is successfully established, or determine why a callwas not completed by examining the protocol cause values. The HST-3000 can monitor layer 2 (Q.921) and layer 3 (Q.931) cause code messages on the D-channel in both terminate and monitor modes. Layer 2 results give technicians the ability to check link and D-channel status, verify LAPD frames and check utilization rates. Following link establishment, layer 3 decodes allow technicians to verify such factors as call state, who made or dropped the call, why the callwas dropped, where the call is being carried (Interface ID/B-Channel) and call types.
Non-intrusive, bi-directional monitoring of in-service D-channel signaling messagesmakes troubleshooting ISDN service easier. For ISDN PRI circuits, the technician can access live D-channel lines through monitor jacks on a DSX patch panel. If the problem can not be isolated, then sectionalization can be accomplished byemulating either the TE or the NT. This enables the technician to sequentially replace each piece of premise equipment to identify the source of errors– reducing the total time to trouble resolution. Results can be displayed on-screen or stored for later retrieval and output via RS-232, USB or Ethernet connectivity standard with each base unit.
Flexible and Rugged Design
The HST’s rugged, weather resistant design and long battery life are ideally suited for use in the field. Itsmodularity allows for field upgrades to support new testing requirements. Standard Ethernet, USB and serial connections offer flexibility to easilydownload software and offload captured test data.
Easily configurable, the HST-3000 can be used by different technicianswith different responsibilities to perform a wide number of tests. The HST-3000 is easilyupgradeable with technologies and advanced options that support the changing needsof service installers.
T1 / T3 Service Interface Module (SIM)
- Thorough T1 testing including BERT, loopcodes, and NIU/CSU emulation
- VT100 emulation for access to T1, HDSL, HDSL2, HDSL2- 4 wire performance statistics
- Copper option adds in-depth copper measurements including DVOM, graphical TDR, RFA/RFL, and load coil counter
- Lower repeat rates with automated close out tests, scripting, and pass/fail tests loaded with operator specific thresholds for methods and procedures
- Modular hardware and software architecture allows easy upgrades and enhancements
- T-BERD® advanced stress patterns, intelligent repeater loop codes, and BERT patterns included
- Lightweight, rugged, water resistant, and battery powered handheld test instrument
- NetAnalyst control of Data Network Analyzer test devices
HST-3000 BRI SIM Module (install and maintain ISDN BRI services)
The HST-3000 ISDN BRI SIM enables you to install and maintain ISDN BRI services. Using the HST with the BRI SIM, you can place, receive, and analyze calls, test data services using BERT analysis, test voice services using a microphone/ speaker audio headset, and monitor physical (layer 1), LAPD (layer 2), and Q.931 (layer 3) results.
Features and capabilities
Using the ISDN BRI SIM, you can:
- Store frequently used numbers in a phone book, and then select a number from the phone book when placing a call.
- Place and receive up to two calls simultaneously using the standard transmit-receive interfaces. After a call is established, you can insert voice traffic into the associated B Channel, or perform BERT analysis of the B Channel.
- BERT (IDSL) of the physical line.
- Perform BERT analysis of two B Channels simultaneously.
- Emulate central office equipment using Line Termination (LT) mode.
- Emulate terminal equipment devices using Terminal Equipment (TE) mode for a U interface.
- Process calls for the following switches:
- AT&T 5ESS
- Nortel DMS 100
- National ISDN-1 (NI-1) and National ISDN-2 (NI-2) compliant switches
- Siemens EWSD
- Monitor and analyze ISDN BRI service while the network is in-service.
- Isolate and locate problems by viewing D channel decode text for all captured transmitted and received frames when you monitor or terminate ISDN BRI service. After viewing the decode text, you can save the text to a file on the HST-3000.
- Place D channel packet calls on the U or S/T interface, and then send a FOX message to verify that the correct text is received on the far end of the circuit.